Blog Header

Blog Header

Wednesday 31 January 2024

Provence Trip June/July 2023 - Part 3 La Col de la Bonette (Wildflowers)

This day dawned lovely and sunny and we went for a wander around Barcelonnette, which is quite a pretty place. We were lucky to find it was market day, so my brother and I who were after honey, had a good mooch around and a honey taste here and there. (I found later in the year that the local honey producers selling at a fete in my village were a lot cheaper - Provence markets are aiming at tourists, after all! I'll know better in the future).




And off we set - up to the highest paved road in Europe, supposedly! at 2,715m altitude. I had researched this road on the internet as I wanted to know if it was doable in a 7m motorhome. The answer was yes, but not if you suffer from vertigo. That was no longer going to stop me!




In the first place that we stopped where I came across butterflies puddling, I also had a good look around the wildflowers. This was at about 2,000m altitude.

Most of the IDing has been done with PlantNet so I will blame them if my IDs are incorrect!

Burnet Rose (Rosa spinosissima).


Further along and higher still, we stopped beside a lake and a valley with a little stream running through. Wildflowers abounded and it was fabulous! It was quite a lot cooler by now though.

In the following photo there is Alchemilla mollis and Thyme plus various other little flowers.


Alpine Birds-foot Trefoil (Lotus alpinus) and Alpine Chickweed or Mouse-ear (Cerastium alpinum).





Clockwise from left: Betony-leaved rampion (Phyteuma betonicifolium), Alpine Clover (Trifolium alpinum), Alpine Avens (Geum montanum) and Peacock-eye Pink (Dianthus pavonius).


Alpine Thrift (Armeria alpina).


There was a high mountain lake, with a few people fishing in it. There didn't look like any life in it, but I guess there was some kind of mountain fish or they wouldn't be fishing!


A Gentian (Gentiana utriculosa) on the left, Alpine Bellflower (Campanula alpestris) and me with camera in hand.


In the boggy patch beside the stream I came across two different orchids, on the left a Marsh Fragrant Orchid (Gymnadenia densiflora) and a Dactylorhiza, though I can't be sure which one it is. PlantNet has given me Dactylorhiza majalis subsp. alpestris or Broad-leaf Marsh Orchid (Dactylorhiza majalis). It has quite wide spotty leaves so I think it is the Alpine Dactylorhiza.




A little bit further up the road we spotted a Marmot; this was my brother's first sighting of one so I was really pleased about that! It was closer than the ones we had seen in the Pyrenees, but it didn't hang around for long.


A little pond and views of the treeless ridges as we travelled higher.


And so we continued, higher and higher ..... to be continued in Part 4!


10 comments:

  1. Above the treeline always sound so far away. And high!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeoys photos!!! Alpine flowers are so special and how awesome to see so many. Interestingly, some of your scenes in the mountains look very much like Colorado where I saw my first alpine flowers and also my first Marmot :-) (Marianne in AZ)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marianne! I hadn't even realised there were marmots in the USA - and now that I have read up more about them I see you have a number of different species, whereas we just have the Alpine Marmot! Alpine flowers are really special. :-)

      Delete
  3. Mandy - the photos are wonderful. Superb scenery and views and as for the flowers! Well they are just beautiful - it was worth the trip up that mountain road!! :) So pleased your brother saw a marmot. Look forward to Part 4 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Caroline! I just loved seeing all those flowers but the scenery was really cool too - more in the next post. :-)

      Delete
  4. What beautiful scenery and views (and a lovely little town). Shortly after I discovered your blog, an old friend suggested a road trip around the French alps. Your posts make me very excited for what we'll see

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Mandy. You will be spoilt for choice in the French Alps, as they basically stretch from the southern shores of Lac Leman to practically Nice! There's some bits in the middle which I don't know, so planning to see more of northern Provence next September. Really hope you do get your road trip!

      Delete