Blog Header

Blog Header

Friday 26 January 2024

Provence Trip June/July 2023 - Part 2 Lavender Fields, Verdon Gorge and Col d'Allos

The next morning with new tyres fitted we finally made it to the Valensole plateau, and boy was there lavender! Miles and miles of it in places. I was in my element. 😀


At the next stop (next three photos) the different lavender varieties were labelled, which I found very useful. We had learned about the three different kinds of lavender used in perfume and cosmetic production - True (Lavandula angustifolia), Aspic (L. latifolia) and Lavandin (L. x intermedia), which is a hybrid of the two, at the lavender farm we visited the previous summer. Within each of these three there are different cultivars though, just to confuse us all. 😁  


The smaller lavender is usually the true lavender, L. angustifolia, like the following photo.


No butterflies in sight though, which was really disappointing. There had been dozens at the lavender farm the previous year in the Ardeche.


Yet another lavender farm - some had shops selling their own products. In a number of fields were women dressed up in pretty white summer dresses doing their best Instagram posing!


On this plateau there were two other plants which I assume are also used for the perfume or cosmetic trade, but I don't know what they are. I could only take photos as we were driving past.


This looks like it might be Curry Plant (Helichrysum italicum), though that doesn't exactly smell nice, or perhaps Cotton Lavender (Santolina) which doesn't smell I don't think. Note the white dress!


After the plateau we passed Lac St Croix and headed down the Verdon gorge.


We didn't see the best bits of the gorge as due to time constraints we took the shorter route and K and I had already done the longer one in October 2017 when the leaves were turning a lovely colour. Still, what we could see was quite stunning, though on this particular road there were fewer places to stop to take photos.








We stopped for the night at Castellane, beyond the gorge but still on the river Verdon. We were to follow this river to near its source higher in the mountains.

Castellane was a small town with an interesting rock towering over it, with a cross built right on the top. We had a walk around the town the next morning, but none of us fancied hiking up there!






From here we headed north up the upper Verdon river valley through St Andre les Alpes, Colmars and Allos to Barcelonnette, via the Col d'Allos. The higher we went, the colder and cloudier it got, until we were up in the drizzle!


This road wasn't ideal in a motorhome, but we managed fine. I'm just glad we weren't coming down as it was rather narrow in places and might have set off my vertigo, which I have managed to quell quite well in recent years. When we reached the summit at 2,250m altitude it was really chilly with nothing to see as we were up in the clouds. So we headed on down to our campsite in Barcelonnette and hoped for fine weather for the next day, our really high altitude day!


Part 3 and the famed Col de la Bonette to come!

10 comments:

  1. Fabulous pictures as usual.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome images! You look wonderful in those lavender fields :-). I'm very impressed at how adventurous you are with your motorhome. I think I would be walking :-D (Marianne in AZ)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marianne, very kind of you! Just stare straight ahead and not down!!

      Delete
  3. The looking down I can cope with - if I am not At The Edge. It's the - no room to get past the approaching car - that daunts me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can do the edge when there is a nice thick stone wall in front of me, but if we are talking balcony with a low railing then no! As for passing on the outside, have you seen any photos or video footage of Death Road in Bolivia? Now that is one seriously scary, dangerous road.

      Delete
  4. The lavender farms are just beautiful Mandy they really are. Strange about the butterflies because lavender in our garden attracts quite a few. We did once visit a lavender farm on the Isle of Wight (quite small) but it was so good to see masses of the flowers.
    Beautiful scenery and photos - I don't like steep drops either and I would get vertigo on some of those roads you get on your travels!!!
    That rock at Castellane looks steep - no way would I get up there these days even if there is a path.
    Looks like you had a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Caroline. It was a really great holiday - I love Provence and it is a large region with so much to see with mountains and the coastline. We are planning to go back again in September!

      The butterfly farm we visited last year had tons of butterflies in the fields so I found it really odd here that there weren't any. Someone on Facebook asked me if there were any bees, and I don't remember any. The lavender seemed quite devoid of any obvious insects. Weird, isn't it?

      Have a look at what I answered to Diana above about heights!

      Delete
  5. Another beautiful post! I love lavender too and have been to the fields in Surrey and Kent.

    The views in the middle part of this post are stunning! I'm getting inspired to play a French road trip of my own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mandy and thanks! I didn't know there were any lavender fields in Surrey or Kent. I have heard of Norfolk Lavender though, and I suppose as it grows perfectly well in England then why not!

      There's a lot more scenery to come and do please go on a road trip to France! It's mostly stunning, at least the lower half, Brittany (coastline and villages) and the Vosges are. :-)

      Delete