Blog Header

Blog Header

Tuesday 19 November 2013

Back to England - Berkshire part 1

How the time has flown this last week! We've been busy with our tree man doing some work and have had a lot to do as well, so I hadn't noticed it was a week since I last posted. I've two posts to finish off the photos taken in England and then the blog will be back in my garden again.

After rural Somerset we moved on to suburban Berkshire to stay with my brother and sister in law. They had fetched my parents in law down to stay with them/us as my father in law is not well and can't drive any more. This was our main reason for going to England to spend time with them. As my sister in law works shift work and has odd days off during the week we were able to get out for a bit of retail therapy, and the occasional times when it was sunny we went for a few walks. Luckily for us this lake featured below is only a few alley ways along round the backs of the houses from where we were staying and it's a nice place to visit. People feed the ducks and the waterfowl are therefore quite tame, as you can see from all the swan pictures, who pretty much followed us around the lake. There were seven cygnets swimming about with their parents which was rather cute. How they can be called ugly ducklings I don't know! 


The trees around here are huge and you'll see in a photo further down what it is like in the road where my brother in law lives. There are Scots Pines and other trees so tall that I couldn't get far enough away to get them in one photo, hence the two photos below!




Just to make a change there was a solitary Canada Goose which also made a beeline for us from the other side of the lake, hoping to be fed I imagine.


And a few pics of us....




The road where my brother in law lives. So when we heard about that storm that was forecast I was a little bit concerned.... in fact it wasn't bad here and no trees fell, thank goodness!


Another sunny afternoon we visited Wildmoor Heath - I was rather excited reading the noticeboard which mentioned Dartford Warblers, a bird I've never seen, and the bog area is supposed to be good for dragonflies and damselflies, but we were rather disappointed. I know it was late in the year for insects but the sum total of birds, bugs and flowers was one clump of heather, a solitary robin in the car park, one fly seen by my OH and three midges by me. :-(


But it was still a nice walk, and there's a good mix here of woodland, heathland, and marshland/bog.




Eventually I turned my attentions to fungi as there was more of that about than anything else!


I thought the following were Parasol mushrooms, but having looked at Google images now I'm not so sure. These are the immature ones and the photo below this is the more mature fungi. They were pretty cool, whatever they are.



I guess it must have been raining somewhere.... and it even looks like a double rainbow!


6 comments:

  1. Well those are brill... I see a couple of shots that resemble photos we've taken (hubby and I) whilst in London and Wales. Nice set but I especially like the two of you and The Terminator ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much April! None of the hills/mountains of Wales or wide open space (this area is quite claustrophobic I find with all the trees, I long for fields and open spaces when I'm here. Trees are everywhere - oh and traffic, moan moan!). Glad you like the pics of us. I don't like the one he took of me!! :-)

      Delete
  2. Another idyllic setting! Just lovely and so many things to photograph. Your second Fungi looks like a Shaggy Parasol but I wouldn't bet my life on it :-)

    I've been SO busy printing and trying to sell as it IS that time of year already. This year flew by! Anyway....I hope to post something this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marianne! I've gone through loads of images of Parasol mushrooms (Macrolepiota procera) and they nearly all look paler and less smooth looking than this one - same goes for the Shaggy Parasol too. The ordinary Parasol grows around here and I've eaten them when others have collected them but never seen them growing in the wild before.

      I know about 'that' time of year. I need to take some time off from social media as I have a personalised calendar to make with my photos and I haven't even begun yet. :-( I did wonder what you were up to!

      Delete
  3. Just lovely as usual Miss Mandy! Keep those lovely pics coming for everyone to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Ma'am! :-) Thank you my dear and never fear, I always have more photos than I can possibly share!

      Delete