Blog Header

Blog Header

Thursday 15 July 2021

Market day in medieval Mirepoix

Finally, at long last, we went to a market! I chose Mirepoix as the market is held in the medieval centre and around the cathedral, and having visited briefly on one of our Moho trips a few years back, I knew it was very pretty and photo worthy.

Mirepoix is about 25 minutes drive from us, in the neighbouring department of Ariรจge. The market square, Les Couverts, is one of the finest surviving arcaded market squares. It is less easy to see the arcades when the market is in place as the umbrellas over the stalls hides them a bit, but you can just about see under the buildings in some of my photos. The beautiful half timbered houses showing all their different colours date from the 13th to the 15th centuries. The construction of the cathedral, St Maurice, dates from 1298 and continued over the next six centuries, then was restored in the 19thC.

I was very pleased to discover that masks must be worn at a market, despite being outdoors, because of the proximity of people. At last I found my plastic tablecloth-on-a-roll for my terrace table! Not to mention yet another handbag, well at 20 euros how could I resist. ๐Ÿ˜€ French markets are great for cheap handbags! I did note the absence of any fish/seafood stalls, something I found a bit odd after the Breton markets which always had plenty. Maybe we need to go closer to the coast? We weren't near the coast in Brittany though. Who knows? Finally I bought some tasty and spicy olives from a stall that you will see a photo of later. The sun shone, and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. (I also took note, having gone to the supermarket after the market, that fruit was much cheaper at the market, something I am not used to as the Breton markets around where we used to live were always much more expensive than the supermarkets!)

I have included a photo of an ancient postcard showing the 19thC covered market, known in French as La Halle or Les Halles, so you can see what it looks like properly. Originally the agricultural markets were held in the space under four medieval houses, which were built up on stilts to make a covered area for the grains.

I'm not going to write any more as this post has many photos, so just sit back, scroll through, and enjoy!








Copyright: the Mairie de Mirepoix
Link about the history of La Halle, in French




























I hope you have enjoyed this tour around a southern French market!
All photos taken with my phone.

6 comments:

  1. Looks lovely Mandy, enjoyed the write up and the photos ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW still need to update my email feed. Are you happy with Feedio? I was looking at follow.it
    Will put you back in my Feedly, since that is where I like to read blog links.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Diana - I am happy with Feedio - they have the personal touch - however their blog posts go straight into people's spam/junk folders! Not best pleased with that, so not sure I would recommend it for that reason. Even though I subscribe myself, to check that it's working, it wasn't until my cousin emailed me to let me know that I realised! You also can't decide on a time that your blog post goes out, it seems to just go out as soon as you have published it (not that that bothers me).

    As I don't know most of my subscribers from adam, I don't feel that I should email them personally to let them know. Most are people who subscribed years ago and they probably just delete them for all I know. Yes I prefer Feedly too, though I sometimes use Bloglovin. You are still in mine, but I didn't blog for a long time so didn't read blogs much either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for late response - I must have been away and missed it :( Gorgeous photos of the outdoor market. Good news about masks too and glad you made some purchases. My kids love olives and would be in raptures over that stall!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry about it Caroline, it's not like I comment on yours as soon as you have posted! :-) Yes, the virus is getting worse, apparently it's spreading in our department now (the delta variant) so they are bringing back the wearing of masks outdoors in certain towns/cities now, and no alcohol can be served after 11pm. Good! Wish the UK/Boris would be a bit more sensible. Normally with olives I will eat a few here and there, but I ate a whole bowlful in one go, they were so tasty!

      Delete