Blog Header

Blog Header

Monday 5 July 2021

Lunch out and a walk on the garrigue at Leucate

Once our restaurant terraces opened again, and we'd had our second jabs, we decided it was time to brave it and go out and be 'normal' again! We chose a good day for the weather and off we set to a restaurant at La Franqui called "Le Bleu". We sat in the shade of the terrace beside the beach and the sea. It was bliss!








Keith chose the burger 'facon fish and chips' which he loved; he said the fish batter was perfect. It was served with a home made tartare sauce. I had the Thai green curry with prawns. They warned me it was hot, but French hot is usually our mild. However this was quite hot! I thought four prawns were a bit measly, but really with the rice it was very filling and I couldn't finish it all. As we were planning a walk after I forwent a dessert.


We drove around to the Leucate lighthouse which is perched up on a cliff close to La Franqui. There were still plenty of wildflowers and many butterflies, but mostly the two species that I managed to photograph, as follows.

This is a Western Marbled White (Melanargia occitanica). At home we are only seeing the regular Marbled White, so it's nice to see a different species. Not a lifer as I have seen them many times, but have never got a photo to confirm that I have the different species.




Showing a view of the habitat we were walking around in.


This is the other species that was abundant, in fact there were absolutely tons of them. They were all on the same plant which I later found out was Felty Germander (Teucrium polium). It had a lovely herby smell to it and is indeed used in cooking, and medicine. The butterfly is a Dusky Heath (Coenonympha dorus) and they fly low to the ground always perching with their wings closed. They are mostly to be found in Spain and the south of France into parts of Italy, and love this kind of habitat, hot rocky dusty places.








There are quite a few ruined stone buildings on the clifftop area and masses of dry stone walls too.


A view of the semaphore station, which being a military place was all fenced off from the public area.



Luckily for us, there were several Woodchat Shrikes (Lanius senator) flying around and perching on the fences! We also had a really great close up view of a Sardinian Warbler, but no time to get a photo. We also saw a Thekla Lark, making our birding fairly interesting, despite the majority of birds hiding away from the afternoon sun. 


Me by the lighthouse and the posh restaurant with a Michelin star. No, we havent been there. Michelin starred restaurants don't appeal to me.


The highlight of the day came right at the end. As we were putting our things back in the car, K suddenly called to me quietly and indicated with his hand to come and look! There, on the car parked next to ours, was a Two-tailed Pasha (Charaxes jasius)!! I had always wanted to see one of these large beauties, so another tick off the butterfly wish list!



By the way, anyone who gets my blog via email, they seem to be going into the spam/junk folder. Just in case anyone looks in who is wondering why I have not blogged for a while. I don't know myself how to do it, but apparently you can tell your computer that my blog posts are not spam and should go into your inbox!

6 comments:

  1. Pleased you decided to go out and have a delicious meal :) I love the landscapes where you live and the butterflies are amazing. Great photos and the Western Marbled White is interestingly different to the ones we get over here. Well done on the Two tailed Pasha. WHAT a butterfly!!!!!

    I've always wanted to see a shrike ever since seeing them in the Observer's Book of Birds when I was a child!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Caroline! It made such a nice change, gosh, eating out twice in 18 months!! Whatever next?! :-)

      I have seen several different shrikes, but mostly here it is the Whinchat Shrike. When we lived near Geneva we saw the Great Grey Shrike several times and we have seen an Iberian Grey Shrike near the coast here once. None at all in Brittany. Are there any in the UK? They are interesting birds and I can understand you wanting to see one! :-)

      Delete
  2. Some great butterfly shots Mandy.
    Dare I say, the meal resembled a Dog's Bowl. 😃😎🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Roy! You made me go back to look at the photo. Yes it does!!! :-)

      Delete
  3. I'm finally getting to your post with cactus and see you have another new post! I laughed when I read that Golden Barrels (Echinocactus grusonii) were called Mother-in-law cushions. I had never heard that so it was really funny :-D Golden Barrels are native to Mexico but grow really well here so they are an extremely popular landscape addition. I have many. The one in your photo is very dehydrated and not doing well. It also looks to have sustained some damage on the top which accounts for the new growths up there. (New growth will be on the sides.)

    Anyway.... I savoured every word and photo in your posts! our current drought has been really depressing so reading about your adventures was such a great escape. Thank you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marianne - thanks you so much for finding time to read and comment! As you know I have replied to this elsewhere. :-)

      Delete