Blog Header

Blog Header

Monday 20 July 2020

Some interesting spiders and insects

One of the most prolific wildflowers flowering at the moment is scabious, which is growing in all the verges and fallow spaces. Of course this is great for me as it's a flower that attracts all sorts of pollinators, and in turn, predators! On a recent walk up to the highest hill in our area, which has an amazing 360 degree view of all the hill and mountain ranges in the Aude and the Ariege, I came across this interesting crab spider. I haven't seen one this shape before (I don't think!). It's Thomisus onustus, part of the family of Thomisidae spiders. This one is similar to the one I used to find in my last garden, Misumena vatia, which changes colour to yellow or white, with some pink markings, though this one can be bright pink all over. Like all crab spiders, they don't spin webs but sit on a flower and wait for prey to land to take nectar and pollen. This link at Wikipedia shows a number of pictures of the spider in its various colour forms.

Thomisus onustus

Last week we discovered another of my favourite spiders, the Wasp Spider, in our garden! Keith was pointing out a spider in a pot of geraniums, when I noticed another small spider nearby that I didn't recognise, but I certainly recognised the familiar zigzag pattern on the web, known as the stabilimentum, indicating the family of Argiope spiders. I had to take photos to see what the markings were of the spider as it was too small to tell, though within a week the spider had grown so much that it was easily ID'd with the naked eye!

Young Wasp Spider (Argiope bruennichi) living in a pot of geraniums

Argiope bruennichi

Amazingly I discovered another one in a photo! I was looking at some photos I had taken of the hibiscus out the front of the house, when I spotted a web in the corner of one of the photos, which when I zoomed in, yes, it also had a stabilimentum! I dashed outdoors and it was another Wasp spider about the same size as the first one. It could even be that one as the original one has disappeared from the geraniums. Look just below the centre of the photo and there's a vertical thick white line with a spidery blob in the centre - this is a very cropped in part of the original photo. It's always amazing what one discovers in the way of wildlife in photos! I just hope that the Wasp spiders stay around the garden until they get huge in the early autumn.


Now, onto insects. Keith spotted this next critter, but on the wall of the house near the garage, and at about 5cm/2 inches long, it wasn't hard not to notice! It's an antlion, something I've never seen before. It's related to lacewings, owlflies and mantidflies (would love to see one of them!!). All of these insects are very interesting looking but I know very little about them. Antlions have very predatorial larvae, some of which dig holes to trap passing insects. This particular species doesn't do that though. According to my Med. insect book, this is one of the most commonly photographed species of antlion in the Mediterranean. Most likely that means it's one of the most commonly seen! It's Distoleon tetragrammicus, and it's habitat is oak and pine woodlands where the larvae live in the leaf litter.

Antlion Distoleon tetragrammicus

Finally my favourite insect - the butterfly of course! I have been hoping to see one of these Geranium Bronzes, even though I know that technically they are a pest of geraniums/pelargoniums. They are not native, having been brought in to Europe by accident from their native South Africa; however there it has natural predators plus geraniums grow in the wild being also native to South Africa, so it's not a pest as its numbers are naturally controlled. 

It's a tiny little thing and I've seen them a lot fluttering around my pots of geraniums and also feeding on nearby scabious on the grassy bank at the edge of our property. It's certainly going to be interesting seeing what happens to my geraniums. The caterpillars bore into the stems of the plants and eat them, and the stems turn black, which harms the plants. I can live with some damaged stems, but obviously don't want to lose all my geraniums. If I do find this butterfly problematic, I'll have to plant out fewer geraniums and more different bedding plants in my decorative pots around the pool/house area. I already have bedding verbena mixed in with the geraniums, but the snails seem to love eating them, whilst leaving the geraniums alone - you can't win!

Geranium Bronze (Cacyreus marshalli)

Geranium Bronze (Cacyreus marshalli)

I haven't taken many macros of butterflies so far this year, just because most of the species I've seen have either been too flitty or weren't close enough. This following butterfly was happy enough feeding on the oregano growing in the ditch next to our garden, but wasn't easy to get too close to. Plus it's windy here - the Aude is the windiest department in France, and we live on top of a hill. So getting a macro in focus isn't the easiest thing here at times!

Grizzled Skipper (Pyrgus malvae)

Grizzled Skipper (Pyrgus malvae)

It's been a while since I did a post about insects or spiders! But it was not surprising that I would find some different species now that I live in an entirely new part of France, with a different climate. Sadly I no longer have my moth trap as it went up in the 'Great Barn Fire of 2018' because I might finally have found a Death's Head Hawk Moth! I'm just hoping to find some really groovy butterfly species, like the Nettle Tree butterfly or Spanish Festoon, when we are out and about closer to the coast. Cross your fingers for me!

11 comments:

  1. Great post Mandy and interesting to read too. I have got into insects this year and I am always amazed how much is out there I never noticed before. We to seem to live in a windy area and it plays havoc with any kind of photography! You did well as I love the photos you have taken.
    Glad you are doing well and all settled in.
    I still have my moth trap but just recording anything that looks new.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda - I thought you were interested in insects before, well maybe it was just moths and butterflies? Thanks for looking in and sorry it's taken me ages to reply! I can't do it from my ipad which is really annoying, so I have to get on my big computer. Hope you get back to blogging soon as I noticed you hadn't for a while. xx

      Delete
  2. A super post Mandy and great photos. You have some amazing species locally. I've never seen an Antlion or a Wasp Spider! The butterfly is lovely and I hope it doesn't become a nightmare with the geraniums! I've just seen a Small White laying eggs on my Wall Pennywort!! and we have had a lot of problems this year with slugs and snails on vegetable plants.

    I still have my moth trap but must admit I haven't been using it much recently. After years perhaps I just got find up of all the same species appearing. Not sure but for some reason I find it hard to motivate myself to put it out.

    Fingers crossed when you journey nearer the coast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caroline and thank you very much. So far so good with the geraniums but I guess it will take a while for the caterpillars to get large enough to do real damage.

      We were planning to go to the coast last week but the temps were 30C plus so just too much for walking in and it's even hotter this week - shame we missed the chance to explore this spring but there will be opportunities this autumn and next spring. I also was getting less motivated with the moth trap so wasn't too bothered when it was destroyed! xx

      Delete
  3. Awesome post, Mandy! You know this is my kind of thing! The antlion is cool. I've found lacewings before but never an antlion as far as I know. We have the cool nymphs that decorate or disguise their bodies with the remains of their prey. Very gruesome but incredibly cool to look at!
    I haven't found a great many spiders here except a few small jumpers and little crab spiders plus we had a load of Badge Huntsmen coming inside the house at one stage. Actually, we've had quite a lot of spiders in the house but not many web makers now I think of it!
    And butterflies are just few and far between around our neighbourhood. I am not sure why except that we have a lot of insectivore birds around.
    Cool to see you blogging again. I wish I was as dedicated!
    Looking forward to seeing what else you find in your patch. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Kim! Thanks, glad you liked the post. I haven't seen nymphs that do that - must be really interesting to see. It's a shame there are so few butterflies in your neighbourhood. Hope it's not neighbours using a lot of chemicals in their gardens.

      I've been hardly dedicated to blogging these last 3 years or so, just wish I could get motivated to do it. I want to, but just can't make myself do it 90% of the time. I feel so proud of myself when I manage (this is a depression thing). Anyway, cheers! xx

      Delete
  4. Hi A.
    Fingers and things crossed.
    The Geranium Bronze looks interesting.
    Quite small I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Opps! I mean M. :))
      You just look more like an 'A' than an 'M'.

      Delete
    2. Hi Roy, thanks so much. Yes, the Geranium Bronze is a small butterfly.

      Can't imagine why I look like an A. I have hated that name all my life. I feel like a Mandy but never an Amanda! :-)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful photos of my favorite subjects! Ant Lions are common here. Their traps are very interesting and yet I've never spent time documenting one but might do do just for you:-)

    I'm so envious of your weather. We're used to our extreme heat and usually don't mind it because we always get nice rain breaks during the monsoon. However, we haven't had any rain for months so it's been more difficult to tolerate. Coupling that with our political craziness has made 2020 a memorable year but not in a good way :-( But... As they say, this too will pass!

    So happy to see your posts, again :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thsnks Marianne! I would love to see some photos of your antlions, especially their traps. Email me though if you post that to IG as I don't look in regularly.

      As for the heat here, it's still hot (for us) but we now have aircon throughout the house! It's wonderful. If I had to choose between the aircon or the pool, the aircon would win, that's for sure! lol :-)

      Let's hope you get some rain soon. xx

      Delete