Blog Header

Blog Header

Friday 2 August 2024

Wildflowers and Orchids with Birding Languedoc May 2024 - Part 2 Laurac

We then drove to the village of Laurac, which is on my side of the plain and only 15 mins from home. Laurac was an important village in medieval times and was the capital of the Lauragais region (much of the plain south of Toulouse), but it was also a Cathar village, subjected to the horrors of Simon de Montfort and the crusade against them, which I explained in my last but one post.


We didn't have time to look around the village but it looks really pretty. Look at those Valerians growing out of the walls! Next time we come here to see the orchids, we will have a wander around the village.


Ian had discovered a field near the village full of Military Orchids, so we walked up a very steep hill with many orchids growing in the verges on the way up, including these Bee Orchids (Ophrys apifera).


Man Orchids (Orchis anthropophora) - the one on the right was exceptionally yellow - they can be dark pinky red through to a beigey yellow colour. There are also some Bee Orchids in the first photo for scale - Man Orchids can be very tall.


In the field full of Military Orchids (Orchis militaris). There were some Military x Lady Orchid crosses in this field too, but I am not sure if I have a photo of one as they are not that easy to tell which is which without an expert! There were various different colours as you can see in this photo.


Click on the image to enlarge it then look inside the flower of the white Military Orchid - can you see a little alien face? I think it's delightful! Both these are the same species (I think), just different colours.




Looking across the plain to the Montagne Noire.


Clockwise from top: Laurac from the Military Orchid field; Owly Sulphur Owlfly (Libelloides coccajus); Tassel Hyacinth (Leopoldia comosa), a species found in the Med region.


We then went up to the highest point in Laurac, to a hillside we visited last year which was full of orchids. At first glance, it seemed disappointing as the hundreds of Long-lipped Tongue Orchids were not in abundance like the previous year, as it seemed the top of the hill had been recently grazed. However, the hillside proved to have a lot of goodies! 

Clockwise from top left: Narbonne Flax (Linum narbonense); Pheasant's Eye (Adonis annua); Fly Orchid (Ophrys insectifera); Six-spot Burnet Moth (Zygaena filipendulae).


View to Laurac top, and distant view of my village, Fanjeaux, bottom.


We discovered quite a few of these beautiful Pink Butterfly Orchids (Anacamptis papilionacea) growing on the hillside.


And some more of the gorgeous Ophrys bertolonii subsp. magniflora.


Niall and one of our group taking photos of the Pink Butterfly Orchids.


Another amazing day out and I'm still enjoying learning about the orchids and other wildflowers found in this region. Writing this blog helps me with learning about them as I look them all up once they have been identified. Whether I retain that knowledge or not is another matter! 
-->😀-->


8 comments:

  1. Another WOW post! So many Gorgeous Orchids! I also loved the beautiful flower lined street and the Moth. So much to explore!!! I would probably have been overwhelmed:-)
    (AZ Marianne)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marianne! Laughing at the thought of you having the vapours over all the goodies! :-)

      Delete
  2. Another brilliant selection of orchids and other flowers :) Your photos are super Mandy and I can spot the alien face in the Military Orchid :) You have certainly inspired me to try harder to track down more orchid species even if for some species I have to wait until next year! Have you read any of Leif Bersweden's books? I have both his and they are superb. The first book is called "The Orchid Hunter" - well worth reading if you haven't already seen it. (note both are set in the UK but a great read for those who love plants).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Caroline. Glad you could see the alien face! I haven't heard of that author but the orchid book sounds really good, and if I can find it on an EU site I'll ask for it for Xmas. Ordering from the UK is not worth it these days due to the possibility of being hit by import taxes, something the postman collects!

      Delete
  3. Ha! I never retain information- sometimes I read old blog posts and wonder which alien wrote them. Laurac looks like an exquisite little village. Those view are beautiful, as are the orchids, and I liked the little Six-spot Burnet Moth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Mandy! Just recently I shared an old post from 10 years ago about swallowtail parasitism with someone on a fb group - my reaction upon rereading the post was - Blimey, I knew a lot back then! :-)

      Delete
  4. That village looks enchanting, but I wonder what those old stone houses would be like to live in ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diana - I've been inside houses like that and unless you fork out for a total renovation with all mod cons including central heating (not cheap), you won't live very comfortably! However they can look fabulous if you leave some of the old features mixed in with modern living standards.

      Delete