Blog Header

Blog Header

Saturday 22 October 2022

The desert of Abanilla, Murcia

This desert-like area was just over the border into Murcia, which I read somewhere was the, or one of the, most arid parts of Spain. We had already been driving through fields of different kinds of produce - from most of Valencia’s oranges, rice and olives to orchards of pomegranates and fields of date palms. I’m now feeling inquisitive as to what they might grow in the very south of Spain! Strangely enough, around Valencia there have been many fields of globe artichokes, a crop very common around Roscoff in Brittany. And even stranger indeed, fields galore of cabbages. I’m amazed they would grow through the heat of Spain’s summer, even though of course they are irrigated.

Here however, there was nothing. Nada. Oh ok, a few olives here and there. 😄

All photos are SOOC again, and the sky was hazy, but you can see from the pic of Keith and his bright shirt that the landscape colours really were that pale colour. Those were mostly rocks rather than soil where they are completely devoid of vegetation. I love these weird kind of landscapes!










Looking in the other direction it’s a little greener with an olive grove in the middle of the wild landscape.




I don’t know what this plant is below - it’s a rush-like plant (I’ll PlantNet it when I get home as it’s fascinating) and it’s so amazing to see signs of life even on seemingly half dead things. I’m not sure if these tiny pretty peach flowers are actual flowers, or bracts.

Other life? I saw my first real, through binoculars, Dartford Warbler! 💕 We think we’ve seen them before when we didn’t have binocs, because of the way they hold their long tails, like a wren. Even this time the bird was backlit so couldn’t see all the details and colours, but I’ll take that as a tick! 


Here are a couple of pics of me at Morella; they were on K’s phone so I didn’t have them at the time of doing the last post. The burger is a very weird deconstructed one at a quite posh restaurant, delicious, but give me a regular burger any day! 😄




I’m sorry I haven’t visited any of your blogs, my evenings are busy downloading photos and checking out places to park and that kind of thing for the next day and more Facebooking than usual due to posting a few photos there. Be back soon!

9 comments:

  1. I don't share your love for the Landscapes Mandy. (Spaghetti Western country)
    Dartford Warbler great to see. I keep missing those and still cant get a photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roy, well I most certainly wouldn’t want to live there, but I love seeing different kinds of landscapes. I guess the Dartford Warbler is typical of most warblers, being very flitty and hard to shoot. Yet you do very well with many of them! Mandy 😄

      Delete
    2. I should have mentioned that your beauty does grace the landscape considerably. But, I am not aloud to say that sort of thing anymore am I.😇

      Delete
    3. Roy, well it was Keith who was gracing the landscape here, not me, and I doubt he’d be happy if you said a comment like that to him! 😁😁😁 But I am always happy to receive compliments like that. Who says you can’t say that sort of thing!
      Mandy, now for some reason unable to comment on blog from desktop, wth?!!!

      Delete
  2. What an incredible landscape. I've never been to Spain so all these places are completely new to me.
    Well done on the Dartford Warbler. I spent ages looking for one some years ago when at RSPB Arne Dorset but I still have never seen one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caroline and thank you. Obviously the Dartford Warbler is hard to see! We have heard some on a walk near the coast at home, but they never showed their faces. Bit like Cetti’s Warbler! K was the one who spotted it, I’m so happy he did. Hope all is well with you. We are on a nice campsite surrounded by lots of English which makes a nice change, and it’s really friendly! Off to eat Thai tonight, 😄😄😄

      Delete
    2. Oops, that was me, Mandy, but you probably guessed!

      Delete
  3. Great photos Mandy ,does look a bit spaghetti western type terrain 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly does, minus the buttes! Thanks for all the comments. Mandy xx

      Delete