Blog Header

Blog Header

Monday 6 June 2022

Another orchid at home (and a test post)

I didn’t have time to blog before going away in the Moho, so I’m going to see if I can post a photo from my iPad direct to my blog.


Well this seems to be working! That means I can post a few photos here and there from our visits, then I’ll do a few more detailed posts when we return. How I’ll pick out just a few photos I don’t know though!


This, by the way, is a Tongue Orchid (Serapias lingua), and it’s yet another species of orchid discovered at home, this time on the grass verge beside the road! K likes to mow out there to keep it tidy and you can see where it has been mown off where the red coloured stem meets the older green stem. However, because it was dry in May the grass didn’t grow so much, which gave the orchids a chance to flower. In future, we will look out for this orchid and mark where it is growing like with the ones in the lawns! There were quite a few more Pyramid Orchids flowering on the verge and grass bank too.




This is where the orchids are growing, along with many other wild plants.The pink blobs are the Pyramid orchids, and there must be more than 50 of them growing in our garden and the verge/bank!


Here, though, you can see the benefit mowing has on the orchids, as the thick long grass on the other side doesn’t give any orchids a chance to grow. So, sometimes, mowing isn’t nature’s enemy! 😄


These photos are all SOOC, that means Straight Out Of Camera, with no editing. I can’t be bothered when I’m on holiday, and I can’t do my watermark either as I do that in Lightroom on my desktop computer. It will be interesting to see what these images look like when posted as I have no control over photo size when I post anything from my iPad. 


We are currently between Cordes sur Ciel and Albi, both of which we have or will visit. I’ll be back with a few more photos soon, but please bear in mind that I can’t reply to comments using my iPad, but I’ll try to borrow K’s laptop occasionally if necessary. 

4 comments:

  1. Have a great trip! Best, k & m

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to have them! Save Travels. Marianne from AZ

    ReplyDelete
  3. The images are absolutely fine Mandy.
    Lovely unusual Orchids as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a super trip and holiday Mandy. The photos look fine and that orchid is very unusual.

    ReplyDelete