Blog Header

Blog Header

Thursday 1 April 2021

Photos I forgot from last post!

Here's the promised photo of the blossom in our mini orchard. What's out at the moment is mainly the plum in the foreground and the cherry behind; there are two more plums and another cherry. Hallie moved into the shot 😀 so that I would show you part of my herb bed. This is obviously the back of the house, and the green patch I'm standing in is a small patch of lawn compared to the front lawn. I'm glad the orchard is gravelled, for K's sake as he does the mowing, but after the last garden, mowing here is a doddle anyway!


I totally forgot these photos of orchids growing in both the front and back lawns. I took these photos on 10th March - it's amazing how early they start flowering! I think these are three different varieties and the last one is of the Ophrys genus which tend to be the ones that mimic bees and spiders. I have no idea what the other two are. Given how many more different orchids there are still to flower, after what we saw last year, there must be at least eight varieties that flower in our lawn!






Our Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs are back around the garden and K was lucky enough to see both of them in the plum tree outside the kitchen window, so managed to get a lovely shot of the Chiffchaff close up. Of course, they didn't hang around so he couldn't get the Blackcap as well, but the next photo is of one he captured during a recent walk.




Well, I was right, we are going back to lockdown from Saturday, but this time it is going to be much easier. It's classed as a light lockdown, and we are allowed to go up to 10km from home without an attestation (signed document saying why we are out), and no limit to how long we stay out. That means we can do the local walks including the forest from my recent blog post, and a nearby hill which has an Orchid Walk that I want to do very soon. Shops other than essential will be closed but hey, we all buy online when necessary these days, don't we?

Because of the lockdown I am SO glad we got out yesterday to the coast as I got to see the garrigue during the end of March, having missed everywhere further than 1km from my house last year from mid March to mid May! I will write a post about our day out as I have dozens of photos and even saw a new butterfly that I hadn't seen before! But now I'll have to wait until next year to see spring further evolving in those parts.



If you just look in occasionally, I published a post two days ago so just scroll down and you should come to it. Yes, I know, I don't usually blog this often.😀

8 comments:

  1. Oh gosh!!! the orchids are gorgeous! I am going through an orchid "phase" at the moment so lovely to see them. Blossom is gorgeous too. Glad you can still travel locally during latest lockdown - it is when you can't travel at all when it is a pain! Yes all shopping here down online and we have the food shop delivered too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caroline - thanks for the comments! Orchids are wonderful when you get up close and really look at them properly, aren't they? I know next to nothing about them, although I have learned a lot in this last year. One is that they are very hard to ID!

      You are lucky that you can get your shopping delivered. K usually goes to the supermarket whilst I'm at the physio but he has a super fancy mask that's supposed to filter out much more than the bog standard ones. He bought them online, most of the masks he bought early on last year came from China!

      Delete
  2. How lovely to have so many Orchids growing in your garden, lovely set of photos. Even in lock down you are still going to be able to get out which is great.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda, yes we couldn't believe how many, there must be hundreds of plants all together although it's impossible not to mow some of them off! Yes, this will certainly be an easier lockdown, but I don't think it will be for too long anyway. xx

      Delete
  3. I've enjoyed reading your last few blog posts so much but have been unable to comment for some reason? I'll try again now, you seem to be so much more settled and enjoying life in such a beautiful area of France. It sounds like lockdown will be easier for you this time round. Philippa xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Philippa! So sorry you have had problems again with commenting. At least this comment worked, phew! Yes, a much easier lockdown. I think they are mostly trying to contain the worst of it up north so by restricting travel movements it should (cross fingers) keep the Kent variant from spreading throughout the country. Hopefully they will have vaccinated a few more people in a month's time when they review the lockdown, lol!

      Hope all is well and that you survived your long lockdown. Love to Alan, take care xx

      Delete
  4. Stunning Orchid!!! And flowering trees. Lucky you :-)
    Loved the birds too, of course. Our lack of butterflies has me more obsessed with birds than every :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marianne! Those flowering trees are now producing lovely juicy cherries and one of the plums is loaded in green fruit! I'll be making cherry jam tomorrow. :-)

      Delete