Blog Header

Blog Header

Tuesday 2 March 2021

We have a pet Hoopoe!

How would you feel if you saw a Hoopoe on your front lawn just as you were turning into your driveway? You'd be excited and amazed - and that even in summer. Now imagine you saw that Hoopoe in your garden in January, when they are supposed to be overwintering in Africa ........ 😍

Luckily it was spotted again in a neighbouring garden that afternoon so K was able to post a few distant pics of it on facebook, and learned that some Hoopoes do indeed stay around their breeding grounds all year round. I've heard some of them hang around the Med area during winter but we are an hour inland, so it's less likely here. We imagined that first bird was a one off, until last week when I spotted one sitting on our wall beside my herb bed looking somewhat dejected in the drizzle on a miserable day. K got some great shots through the kitchen window, and I got to see it raise its crest when a sparrow landed beside it! Unfortunately, that time K was not there with his camera. (I'm being lazy, as his camera is better than my SX50, and anyway, my camera wasn't to hand at the time).






We were very lucky as a couple of days later it was back again, in the same spot, on a sunny day. This time K got lucky with the camera and captured it raising its crest!








Doesn't its tail look fabulous all splayed out like that - I've not seen that before. Unfortunately when they raise their crests, it's all too brief so of course the only thing you notice is their amazing crest! We haven't seen it again, but even if we don't see one again until the summer, what luck to see one at this time of year, so close by! They aren't exactly common birds - I have only seen about 10 in total, ever. Most of those were in Greece or Spain.

Another exciting bird we saw this winter, funnily enough in almost the same place, was a Sardinian Warbler. Now they do overwinter here, but like the Hoopoe, we aren't seeing them commonly. We didn't get a photo of it as, being a typical Warbler, it was flitting about between the wall and the hedge, and searching around in amongst my parsley. So the photo below is one that K took some years back at a campsite where we were treated to a lovely open view of one, pretty close up.


Aren't they stunning?! The good thing about that red eye is that it is easy to ID them in the field even if they are distant.

In other news, I have received my vaccination! Our doctor seems to have classed me amongst the over 50s with an underlying health condition due to my past cancer. I am not complaining! Unfortunately I got the last dose in the bottle, so K, who was expecting to get his jab as well, will have to wait, although he should get it pretty soon.

PS. Lockdown hair! I did actually cut it twice last summer, with K's help. Then it grew again and I didn't want to go to a hairdresser and I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my hair, so I just let it grow. Now I can get it in a pony tail! Still unsure what to do. I'll probably get it all cut off again when Covid is a distant memory.


I have some more posts to come (in the mood now!) but will leave you with this slightly shorter than usual post. 😀

10 comments:

  1. Wow! A hoopoe - how wonderful and super super photos! I've never seen one but would so love to one day.

    Glad you have had the vaccination and hope K gets his soon. OH normally cuts my hair but I haven't got round to asking him to do now for over a year and consequently mine is often tied back in a pony tail!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caroline, thanks for the lovely comment. K did get his jab during the week so we are breathing a sigh of relief. Hopefully by summer once we have had both jabs we will feel a lot happier about getting out and about more, e.g. I would love to go to a market, but whilst they are open (or some are) I don't want to go somewhere so crowded, even though it is outdoors. I'd love to eat out again too, that's something I miss! Take care xx

      Delete
  2. Hi Mandy,
    That is great, a Hoopoe and a Sardinian Warbler. (Great photos)
    I have actually seen one Hoopoe in England. As for the Warbler, I should be so lucky. We do get the odd Hoopoe here probably due now to the change in climate. That is probably the reason why you are more likely to see one at this time in your area.
    Keep your Pony tail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Roy, I have told Keith what you said about his photos. Great that you have seen a Hoopoe and now that you are back on the south coast you are more likely to see the occasional unusual bird. I heard that Bee-eaters were in the Devon/Dorset area a few years ago. Fingers crossed! Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mandy, how lovely to find you are posting again. A Hoopoe - stunning, not what anyone would normally expect to see in the back garden.

    Hope you felt OK after your vaccination, I get my first in a couple of days. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne! Sorry, haven't visited your blog in a while, I have my moods where I don't want anything to do with blogs, mine or others (or social media other). Hope your vac went well. I had no effects whatsoever, neither did hubby. Take care xx

      Delete
  5. Oh em geeee! My favorite foreign bird!!! I say "wow" every time I see one. And the Warbler is amazing. Lucky you :-) As for your Covid hair? We should all look as good :-D

    Sorry it's taken so long to visit your blog. I have projects going on that have been very distracting. (Details later)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely that you know of and love 'our' hoopoe! I'm envious of your cardinals and blue jays, not to mention the hummingbirds, omg if only I had one of them in my garden!!

      Thanks for the hairdo comment (lol). Look forward to seeing what your new projects are!

      Delete
  6. skimming thru your posts for this year to catch up.
    We used to live on Hoopoe Avenue, our first home in Camps Bay. NEVER saw them there, wrong habitat.
    Moved to Porterville and saw lots fossicking across other people's lawns.
    But as I sit, I see our two wooden hoopoes on the bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great name for a road, I'd love to have that as my address! I hadn't realised Hoopoes went that far south in Africa in (our) winter. Nice to have hoopoe ornaments, they sound lovely. :-)

      Delete